Monday, July 11, 2011

"This girl is different.": JJ Johnson

This Girl Is Different (Amazon) by JJ Johnson is... well, it's basically Mean Girls in book form. It's about a girl who has been homeschooled her whole life, and then decides to attend public high school (senior year only, to be specific). She discovers that life is a lot more tricky than she expected. However, it's a lot more intellectual than Mean Girls. This Girl Is Different begins each chapter with a quote, usually about revolution. The main character, Evie (full name: Evensong Sparkling Morningdew) is not the kind of girl who takes injustice lightly. And she finds quite a bit of injustice in the public school system.

I enjoyed most of this book. It was definitely a cute story. However, I did find Evie a bit over the top at times, and sometimes I wanted to tell her to shut up and relax. Perhaps I've just been brainwashed by "The Man." All in all though, definitely an enjoyable read.

My email to JJ Johnson:
"I just finished reading This Girl Is Different. I wanted to tell you I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of each chapter-I felt like they really added to the story and expanded on Evie as a character (since she was such a fan of quotes herself). I think you also made the high school rather believable-you didn't go over the top with stereotypes or anything like that, as many authors writing about high school do. Thank you for writing such a great book! Good luck on your future projects!"

Time for the next book! Not sure what'll be yet, I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment